Sunday, January 6, 2013

2013!! and more Owls...

I've done a lot of thinking about my goals for 2013.  Last year, I set a goal of adding a 100 birds to my life list and having a year list of 200 long.  Well, I beat both since I got 254 for the year and about 251 for the year.  A nice padding for the crossing the bar.  I was thinking that for 2013 I would set a couple of different goals, which I will outline below:

Life List Goal at 300
I recognize that this may be the easiest goal to meet but given that I can't go chase every new rarity, I think it is good to be modest while still setting a high goal.

Year List Goal at 200
This is a repeat of my goal last year.

I am also going to set some very specific goals:

I want to do at least 2 pelagic trips.  Note that I am and will be counting Whale Watching trips (which my wife loves) as such trips.

I am also targeting a few specific birds: Parastic Jaeger, Barnacle Goose, Canada Warbler, Scissor-Tailed Flycatcher and a Bobolink.  While a interesting mix to be sure, these are just birds that I would like to see!

Some of you will notice that Northern Saw-Whet isn't on the list.  That's because I got it early this year!  What a Great pick up!  Some Birders helped me out and I am so excited to be able to see this sweet, yet vicious bird of prey.  Click the Photo below for a bigger shot!


2013 Birds: 24 (176 to go!)
Life List: 255 (45 to go!

1 comment: