Monday, November 18, 2013

A First for Connecticut

For a few weeks, Connecticut Birding experienced a first, a Black-Chinned Hummingbird.  While I had seen my first one of these beautiful birds in Texas in May, it was great to see one in CT and see this record BCHU.  This wonderful find turned up at a private residence and the owner was kind enough to let a number of birders see this record little fella.

Record birds represent an interesting facet of ornithology and bird migration.  How did the bird get here?  How is it surviving in a strange environment?  What is compelling it to stay?  Are we even sure this is a rare bird?  Not that I have any answers to these questions.  I think its worth reflecting on the voyage that this migrant has made before it leaves and hopefully returns to its flock.

That last one was inspired by what I always say when I see a rare bird.  Am I sure that's a rare bird?  For this BCHU, I am fairly certain that it is a rare bird.  Since it was a CT First I decided to fill out a Rare Bird Report Form.  Even if this form wasn't the best one, I really enjoyed the experience of filling out the form.  As a closing, I leave you with a selection from said form. Until the next time...

"Since CT is home to the Ruby-Throated that was the first bird that I compared the bird I found to.  The first thing that I noticed was the unusual chin markings and eye markings. The Chin markings are the ones that lead to me to verify that this is a BCHU.  They are clearly different from a RTHU and the photos match the descriptions found in Sibley’s Bird Guide. "


A Black-Chinned Hummingbird in Connecticut

Another View

In Flight and Feeding

A Real Joy to Behold, a Texas Treat in Connecticut

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! I have heard that climate change in the arctic has led to "first" sightings there too, of birds. Have you noted changes in weather patterns that might have led this Texas hummingbird to Connecticut? Just curious! A cool sight to see.

    ReplyDelete