Sunday, June 29, 2014

A Thrush for the Ages


Sometimes you encounter a bird you never expect to.  A couple of weeks ago, I was lucky to see a Grey-Cheeked Thrush here in Connecticut.  The bird was in a local park and had popped up in front of me and a friend.  I had never seen one before and my mind went racing when I first saw it.

Swainson's Thrush? No, couldn't be.  Doesn't have enough color in the throat to be a Swainson's.  Does it have an eye ring? No... Ok, so it probably is not...

Veery?  Not brown enough.  Also, these trees don't seem right.  A Veery passing through possibly.  But the Brown isn't right and the throat is too plain...

Hermit Thrush? The Color is all off...Maybe this is a Grey-Cheeked Thrush

Bicknell's Thrush?  Can't tell until it vocalizes... Oh there it goes!  Perfect

I've got myself a Grey-Cheeked Thrush!  A new Life Bird.  Enjoy a photo of the bird.  Until the next time, get outside and Go Birding!


Grey-Cheeked Thrush at AllAboutBirds - Link Here

No comments:

Post a Comment