Saturday, December 24, 2011

Owling or Howling

So, to celebrate Winter Solstice, I decided to go owling.  I felt it was an appropriate celebration of the day.  Well, needles to say, if you are going to go owling, then make sure to go with someone who knows what they are doing or at least make sure that you are familiar with the area... or at least bring a flashlight.  I did none of the three and I have the scars to prove it.  I feel down... face first... into a pricker bush.  while it was wasn't the most fun I had birding.  One point I want to bring up.  During my falling, slipping and being attacked by the wood, I did hear a Great Horned Owl.  Now, I know that hearing a bird counts as seeing the bird and being witness to it.  However, I do feel a certain obligation to see the bird.  Birding by ear is definitely a skill, but I do feel as though, for your first viewing of the bird, you ought to be able to see it instead of just hear it.  Otherwise, how sure can you be?  Not to say that sight isn't perfect, in fact, I am currently mulling over a view pictures of warblers that I need to sort out.  Back to the owl and my ear, while I am not ready to count the owl on my list.  What do you think a true birder should do?

No comments:

Post a Comment