Sunday, February 3, 2013

February, More Feeder and The Brown Creeper



So once again, home improvement thwarted any adventurous birding outings.  I did however managed to take a walk around my local neighborhood.  There were a ton of birds out despite the late hour and the biggest surprise was a Yellow-Rumped Warbler.  They had disappeared for a few weeks and I was excited to see them again.  I was happy to walk around despite the cold.  Ducks and swans were hard to ID as the ice-free part of the local lake was too far and the sparrows were all too happy to stay beneath the brush cover.  But I managed a few Nuthatches of both local kinds and a Red-Bellied Woodpecker.  My favorite sighting of the day was a Brown Creeper though.  I love these birds.  Their camouflage is unique and their presence is always fun.  While they lack an elegant flight pattern, I do love the way the seem to glop on to any tree in search of food.  Always makes for a good time!  So I post a picture of a Brown Creeper for your weekly Blog post!  Home Renovations are taking a break so birding is back on!  WHoo hoo!


File:Brown creeper (Certhia americana).jpg
Brown Creeper (C) Alan Vernon

2013 Year List: 64
Newest Addition: Yellow-Rumped Warbler (Myrtle's)

No comments:

Post a Comment