Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Nemo and the Junco



Winter Storm Nemo landed and left.  In between that over 40 inches of snow ended up on our region.  So needless to say that birding, once again, has been limited.  Despite the frustration at not being able to get to some of my favorite hotspots and bird, I have enjoyed my time with my feeder again.  Namely because at the diversity of birds that visit my feeder and the chance to really observe bird behavior has been enjoyable.  I'll go through the different birds that have been at my feeders and list their behaviors.

Black-Capped Chickadee - This has proven to be a real bully.  We haven't had any House Sparrows on the feeders in the a while and its because the Chickadees are bullying them off.  An impressive sight to see for sure.  The Chickadees like to hop and jump to push away their food rivals.  They do stand a little taller and they get squeaky-er.

Red-Breasted Nuthatch - I've got 3 visiting my feeder and while I've written about these birds before, I never commented on how committed to the feeder the nuthatches are.  Yesterday, a Red-Breasted Nuthatch flashed it wings and squeaked at a Chickadee on the peanut feeder.  I've never seen a nuthatch do that and it was quite the sight.

Dark-Eyed Junco - A flock of these have found my feeders and my viburnum.  Some have even found hiding spots in my porch and planters. I've taken lots of photos and even some sketches of the birds.  I'll post them if you want.

Dark Eyed Junco (c) Me

2013 Year List
65 (Turkey Vulture)
While the Turkey didn't visit my feeder, it was a yard visible bird and one that I somehow missed so far for the year.  That's where we stand for 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment