Tuesday, February 21, 2012

One last day of birding

So this is the last day that I could go birding down south. I had to make the most of it. I visited a human-made swamp, 2 reservoirs and a park. It paid off huge dividends. I added about 14 birds to my year list and even got to add the American Kestrel, this year's Bird of the Year (see link to the right) to my life list. It was also nice to see to see a couple of birds I've wanted to see for a while and a couple I didn't expect. The Northern Shoveler was one i'd been hoping to see for a while, tree swallows and eastern bluebirds were nice too. The Sandhill Cranes were a nice pick up since I thought they were all gone by this time. I was thrilled to get the Common Yellowthroat and Eastern Phoebe because it shows me that I am getting really good at looking and identifying small songbirds. It was great to get out there and see some awesome birds. I will be posting pictures later so stay tuned!

Outing #16
American Kestrel LB
Belted Kingfisher
Brown-Headed Nuthatch
Common Yellowthroat LB
Eastern Bluebird
Eastern Phoebe LB
Muscovy Duck
Northern Shoveler LB
Pied-Billed Grebe
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Red-Headed Woodpecker
Sandhill Crane LB
Tree Swallow LB

2012 Total: 88

No comments:

Post a Comment