Friday, October 25, 2013

Becoming a Citizen-Scientist

Since signing up for eBird (www.ebird.org), being a citizen-scientist has become something that has been increasingly on my mind.  A couple of weeks ago, an opportunity presented itself.  A local New Haven Park, Beaver Ponds Park (link) was look for people to monitor a couple of bird boxes that went up.  The opportunity was one that I did not want to pass up.  The task is simple and the park itself is one that worth spending time in.  The park has received a lot of attention from lots of groups including a very active group of local neighbors.  Seeing the park getting such care and invest makes for a good place for people and birds.

Since I volunteered to monitor some nest boxes, I wanted to get to know the Park and its seasons.  If I want to do the best job I can, this means becoming familiar the park, its birds, and its habits.  Having been to the park, many times before I was excited to return and begin to become reacquainted with the park.  I've seen Least Terns, Green Herons, and American Coot all at this site.  I am hoping to be able to see how the park changes with the seasons and how the birds and other animals adapt to the seasons.  I am going to try to dedicate a blog to the park once a month until July 2014.  This should provide a real good look at the changes in the park.

I want to be able to contribute to the world of birds and birding and this project is one little way that I can help.  While there are lots of people adding their efforts and time to the world of birding and I know that my project is but a small one.  I feel that I do need to contribute beyond just listing on eBird.  Not saying that's not important, but I can apply myself and my skills in other ways.  I intend to do just that so that I can starting giving back to something that has given me so much.  Until then, get outside and bird!

Can you find the Carolina Wren?

Eastern Phoebe

A Soaring Raptor

A Blue Jay

Hairy Woodpecker

2013 Year List: 265

No comments:

Post a Comment