Monday, October 7, 2013

The World's Scariest Grebe!

Why is the Pied-Billed Grebe the world's scariest?  Because it gives everyone the Pee-Bee-Gee-Bee's!!! While I hate explaining jokes, the bird code of the Pied-Billed Grebe is PBGB which sounds like Hee-Bee-Gee-Bee...  I know, I know, I am shaking my own head.

This weekend, I was lucky enough to find a Juvenile Pied-Billed Grebe this weekend.  This can be a tricky and special bird to find in CT.  It has been listed as a threatened nesting bird and endangered bird in Connecticut.  Seeing one is a great day on any birding walk.  They prefer freshwater ponds and like to quickly dive out of the way when they sense danger.  This makes them hard birds to see and really appreciate.  I guess you could almost say that it is a ghoulish Grebe appearing and disappearing!  I know it is a bit of a stretch, but take a moment the next time to you and enjoy the PBGB wherever you see it!

A Juvenile PBGB in Mondo Pond in Milford

Another view of the PBGB

A Far off PBGB...

2013 Year List: 264 (Migration is beginning to wane)

More info on the Pied-Billed Grebe - Link

No comments:

Post a Comment