Friday, April 12, 2013

Crossley Raptor Guide - A Review

Everyone seems to be writing a review of recently released Crossley's Raptor Guide.  So I thought I'd put my own 2 cents in.  The Guide's best aspects are its plates.  This is a continuation of the work in the Eastern Guide.  One of the things that I liked about the old guide were the plates that showed the birds in different aspects, lights, and perspectives.  I thought that would make the guide better would be comparison plates.  And Crossley, one up'ed me.  There are challenge plates.  These plates are great.  The questions they ask (because they come with answers!) help practice ID skills and learning about the birds.

The descriptions are excellent as well.  I would have liked to have seen more descriptions in the Eastern Guide, but that would have made the book huge.  My overall recommendation of this book is that it is excellent for hawk watching and encountering raptors.  In many ways, it seems to be the raptor version of the Shorebird book published so many years ago.  And I mean this as a compliment through and through.  The Crossley Raptor ID Guide is a great addition to any collection and to anyone who enjoys Raptors and the highlights of Fall Migration!







(C) Crossley Book and Princeton UP

No comments:

Post a Comment