Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Birding by Car



Ebird has my favorite descriptions of how I bird.   If I go for a walk to get to a birding site, I opt for Traveling.  If I get to a specific site, and spend time waiting around for birds to show, then I opt for Stationary.  Then there's the option for when I am doing something else and I see and id a bird and I can't help report it then and there.  Incidental birding.  I've been known to be an Incidental birder, but who among us hasn't?  Who hasn't been tempted by the odd movement in a tree behind the person you are talking to?  Or the odd non-plane flight while driving? To be fair, to be a birder, can and often heightens the senses, while lowering the sensibilities and social graces that make one good conversation.

I had such an incident Monday night.  I was driving home from work and by a lake when a movement in the lake caught my eye.  I saw a two-toned short bill and slight head and a solitary bird.  A Pied-Billed Grebe.  Not my first Pied-Billed Grebe in the State or ever, but a good bird to get nonetheless and good addition to my Year list.  I often can't help but look around while I am doing other things.  I guess my saving grace is that while I look at birds, my dog enjoys lounging in the shade and my wife will always stop to look at plants, trees, and fungi.  Here's to many planned outings and the not planned ones as well!

File:PodilymbusPodiceps 6865.JPG
Pied-Billed Grebe by Davefoc

2013 Year List: 114 (86 to go!)
Pied Billed Grebe

No comments:

Post a Comment